Recipe by Rachael Sommerville
By first making a spiced, wine syrup, you avoid cooking off all the alcohol in your wine. Because we wouldn't want that, especially at Christmas time! As an added bonus, this will fill your home with the most festive of aromas.
- 80g granulated sugar
- 1 bottle medium to full bodied red wine
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised with the side of a knife
- 1 cinnamon stick, or a pinch of ground
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 2 star anise
- 2 clementines
- 50ml of kirsch
1. Put the sugar into a large, heavy based pan. Add the spices and just enough wine to cove the sugar. Heat on low until the sugar has dissolved and then boil until the mixture turns into a syrup.
2. Slice the clementines and add to the pan. Pour in the kirsch and the rest of the wine and gently warm through.
3. Garnish with extra slices of clementine and serve!