Recipe by Root to Market
Pavlova with berries & herbs
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- Few drops white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 750g summer berries (any of raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, blueberries)
- 300ml double cream
- Fresh herbs (we'd recommend mint or sweet cicely) leaves picked
1. Preheat the oven oven to 150C/ 130C fan/ gas mark 2.
2. On a sheet of baking paper, draw a large circle in pencil (use a dinner plate for ease).
3. In a metal bowl, using a hand mixer, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Slowly add in the sugar, a spoonful any a time and carefully mix until you have a glossy consistency.
4. Fold through the vinegar, vanilla and sifted cornflour.
5. Spread the meringue onto the baking paper within the circle shape, keeping the sides a little higher and a dip in the middle.
5. Bake in the oven on a tray for 1 hour and then turn the oven off but leave the meringue inside until it's completely cooled. It might be useful to bake your meringue the night before you need it to allow for this cooling time.
6. Before serving, whisk the cream until it's thick but not set, dollop onto the meringue and top with berries and the picked herb leaves.