Recipe by Laura Ruth Smith
Spiced Elderberry Gin
A beautiful autumnal gin made with wild elderberries - found in abundance at this time of year. Once it's ready, it makes a lovely personalised gift when decanted into bottles.
Top it up with champagne and you have a fabulous winter cocktail!
Makes approximately 1 litre and keeps for several months.
- 500g elderberries (remove all stalks, leaves and green berries)
- 1 litre gin (London dry is best, or one that isn’t heavy in botanics)
- 2/3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100g sugar
- lemon or orange peel
1. Put all dry ingredients into a large, sterilised sealable jar.
2. Pour over the gin, seal the jar and give it a good shake.
3. Store in a cool dark place for 2 months, giving it a shake around once a week.
4. Once infused, strain through a muslin cloth (or coffee filters work just as well) and decant into sterilised bottles.