Recipe by Rachael Sommerville
The Ultimate Bolognese
We've long been on the quest for the perfect bolognese, and after plenty of experimentation, here's our ultimate recipe! Replace wine with half a tomato tin's worth of water if you prefer.
Serves 4-6, easily doubled for more and freezes well.
- large knob butter
- 200g smoked streaky bacon, finely diced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- few sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely diced or grated
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 400g beef mince
- 250ml full fat milk
- 250ml red wine
- 2 tins tomato (chopped is easiest)
- 500g pasta
1. Melt the butter in a large cast iron pot over a low-medium heat, and add the bacon. When the bacon fat starts to melt, add the onion, garlic and rosemary, season with salt and cook for a few minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
2. Add the carrot and cook for another few minutes, then add the celery and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
3. Mix the beef mince through, breaking it up thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Stir and cook until the beef is all lightly browned.
4. Pour in the milk, mix and allow to simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. This could take 30 mins. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 120c.
5. Now, add the wine and tinned tomatoes and mix through.
5. Pop a lid on the pot and cook in the oven for at least 2 hours, 3 is best.
6. When it's ready, cook your pasta as per the packet instructions and serve topped with plenty of parmesan!